- 4 large beetroot
- Small quantity of olive oil
- 2 large Spanish onions
- 3 tablespoons raspberry or red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cold-pressed virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Freshly ground pepper
Mix all the ingredients together.
1. Preheat the oven to 180degrees> cut the stems from the beetroot, wash, dry and wrap each beet in foil, adding ½ teaspoon oil to each packet before sealing.
2. Cut a deep cross into the base of the onions but do not peel and prepare as for beetroots. Place the beets and onions on a baking tray and bake for 1 ½ hours or until tender.
3. Allow to cool slightly then peel and cut beets into julienne strips. Slice the onion crosswise and then into quarters.
4. Combine in a bowl and cover with dressing while still warm.
5. Serve warm or chilled with grilled fish or grilled free-range skinless chicken.