This is a new take on an old recipe, try this makeover of a Lemon Ginger Fried Chicken recipe.
Serves : 8
Prep Time : 16 Mins
Cook Time – 3 hrs 30 mins (total)
If you give the chicken a double coat of flour mixture creates a golden crust (without the skin) when pan-fried.
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
- 2 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 2 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- ¼ cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Place rind, juice, and next 5 ingredients (through drumsticks) in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal bag, and shake to coat chicken. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.
- Sift together flour and next 3 ingredients (through red pepper). Place flour mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag. Remove chicken from marinade bag, reserving marinade. Sprinkle salt and black pepper over chicken. Working with 1 piece at a time, add chicken to flour mixture; seal bag, and shake to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour mixture. Repeat with remaining chicken. Reserve remaining flour mixture. Place chicken on a wire rack; place rack in a jelly-roll pan. Cover and refrigerate 1½ hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Working with 1 piece at a time, return chicken to flour mixture; seal bag, and shake to coat. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour mixture. Repeat with remaining chicken. Discard remaining flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes or until golden, turning once. Arrange chicken in a single layer in a shallow roasting pan. Combine broth and reserved marinade in a small bowl; carefully pour broth mixture into pan. Sprinkle chicken with sugar, and top with lemon slices. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden and a thermometer registers 165°.